Ziggurat has been in operation for over 20 years. We have developed systems, procedures and a culture within the practice that achieves quality projects and satisfied clients. In this document we have set out our basic guidance for clients so that our working methods can be understood from the outset. These procedures, together with our experience, ensures that the process of building a dream home is as rewarding for clients as possible.
We meet with prospective clients to discuss requirements and a obtain general brief after which a fee proposal is provided for perusal. Once appointed we clarify the brief in more detail, listening to the clients’ requirements and expectations.
- Outline Proposal. Discussed during initial meeting with clients and may include thumb-nail sketches.
- Sketch Design. Prelim sketches, to scale, showing our first thoughts. May include alternative schemes.
- Planning Application. The final drawings showing proposed floor plans and elevations.
- Detail Design and Building Regulations Approval. Technical drawings and notes. Structural calculations.
- Production information. More detailed drawings of bespoke items. Not always required.
- Tender or negotiation. Discussions with a builder, or a more formal tender process.
- Construction. Works on site.
- Completion. The finish of the build phase.
Appointment of Consultants
In order for a project to proceed smoothly, sometimes the appropriate consultants need to be appointed. This could be a Planning Consultant, to deal with the more controversial applications, an Ecologist, to provide a Bio-Diversity Action Plan as part of an application, a CDM Co-ordinator to act on the clients behalf to ensure compliance with relevant Health And Safety legislation, or a Structural Engineer, who would be appointed at the early stages of the sketch design.
We will advise you on whether a planning application is required and guide the process. We have submitted many successful planning applications and will use our experience to your benefit.
We will prepare the necessary detailed drawings for submission to Building Control. The complete submission may need to include Structural engineers designs for supporting steelwork or timber beams, as well as thermal loss calculations to substantiate the amount of glass to be used. Typically, this is where we hand the project over to clients, unless engaged to send out to tender.
The Tender Process
Typically we advocate that projects are tendered. We encourage clients to only use contractors who can demonstrate the highest level of quality, familiarity with the type of project proposed and who have exemplary references. You may of course have a friendly builder in mind and we can work with them to obtain an accurate price based on detailed information.
The Build Phase.
We are happy to put clients in touch with experienced project managers or contract administrators/surveyors to run the ensure the build phase runs smoothly and to budget.